Carrot Cake

So M has been harping on my lack of posts in this blog, so I decided it was time to change that! It's been quite a busy senior year, and with tomorrow being the last day, I should have lots of free time to help M out with the baking (and the eating!).

The end of anything is cause for celebration- and party festivities! Having had my senior recital for violin this past weekend, I baked a carrot cake to end the day on a sweet note. If you're looking for an easy, yummy, memorable cake to make for that occasion, read on:

Carrot Cake
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups shredded carrot
*1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
*1 cup raisins (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting
3 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Bake the cake!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs together. (tip: stir in the eggs one at a time to make cake more fluffy! I'm not sure why this works, but mom says so, and my stomach believes it!)
Add in and mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Shred the carrot(s) to fill 3 cups, and add to mixture.
--You can add the optional walnuts and/or raisins; I didn't this time, but can say from experience that the raisins add another pleasant sweetness to the cake.
Bake for an hour.


Make the frosting!

Mix well the cream cheese, melted butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar; you may want to use an egg beater if it makes it a less tiring process.

Frost after cake cools. (You may want to save some frosting if you want to do more decorations)

Another fun, easy way to take the cake to another level is to decorate! Besides icing, you can always use food coloring to color the icing. I wanted to pipe little carrots on to the cake, and guess what? All you need is a sandwich bag to pipe it on!

To make the orange, you need one drop red food coloring and two drops yellow- and mix well. To make the green stem of the carrot, add as much green as you want to another small amount of frosting. To pipe it on, spoon the frosting into a corner of a clean sandwich bag, and cut a small hole in the tip of the bag (or cut a small corner off). Squeeze to get the right amount of pressure, and you have your own piping device!

Comments

  1. scavengingtheinterwebJune 13, 2011

    I love the little carrots! The pastel orange and green are too adorable. Also, huge 'like' for the plastic bag technique. I love when people get creative to make ordinary things unordinary. Random note: I was telling M about this, and I think I'll try it if I make carrot cake at home--I'd like to sequentially pipe on carrots that have more and more bites taken out of them. And maybe leave little unfrosted footprints (or frosted colored footprints probably would be easier) on the cake. 

    Kudos about the recitals! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. scavengingtheinterwebJune 13, 2011

    Oh yeah...FIRST POST FIRST POST! But sad. It's not. It's the second post. I just ruined my own winning streak. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. archanaaaaaaaaaJune 14, 2011

    K always steals what I'm about to say. But I'll say it anyway--I LOVE THE LITTLE CARROTS!

    Also it might be fun to make a frosting version of the earless japanese bunny hopping around the cake looking for carrots.

    Sad or cute?  http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/10/earlyshow/living/petplanet/main20070474.shtml

    ...cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO CUTE! hahahaha love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat!  I made a carrot cake recently too.  I love how you did the little carrots on top.  Regarding your comment on my blog, you must really be in sync with me because believe it or not, the America's Test Kitchen Cookies will be posted tomorrow.  And yes, I loved them too!  

    ReplyDelete
  6. scavengingtheinterwebJune 16, 2011

    Sad. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer ChenJune 16, 2011

    me and Jill made this today and it is delicious! We added the walnuts and raisins too! Also, I've heard that chocolate chips go well inside carrot cake, but we didn't try it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the little carrots along the top.  Carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks sooooooooooper delicious..
    first time here..love your space..gorgeous recipe collection..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! Thanks for sharing this at Savory Sundays! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miz HelenJune 20, 2011

    Your carrot cake looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the little carrots on top!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Recipes Our Readers Love